International Student Services

We understand that coming to live and study in a foreign country can be a confusing and complicated process, so ISA Lille’s International Relations Office provides many helpful services for our incoming international students. We are available to assist you with administrative procedures before you arrive, during your stay and even after your graduation.

Here is some basic information about our services, which are available to all incoming international students, whether you are on exchange or degree-seeking. You will also recieve information and guidance throughout the application and enrollment process. Please check our FAQ then contact us if you still have questions. 

Visa Procedures

Once admitted, ISA Lille will assist you as much as possible in obtaining your student visa, however we have no control over the visa application process. Non-European students are required to have a student visa. This process will be managed by the French diplomatic office nearest you and varies for each country. Find and contact your Campus France office to learn more about the process.

Once you have arrived in France, there are administrative procedures for validating your visa, allowing you to stay in France and travel in the Schengen Area. We provide assistance for these procedures, which are done with the regional administrative office, the Prefecture. Learn more about this process on the Prefecture website.

Housing Options

We recommend that students book a room in a Lille Catholic University Residence Hall. These residences are managed by the Association d’Entraide Universitaire (AEU) and are the most convenient way for our students to find housing in Lille. Get more information on AEU’s website or contact the AEU directly:

A.E.U. (Association d’Entraide Universitaire)
47 Bd Vauban (2nd floor) – 59800 Lille
Tel: +33 (0)3 20 15 97 78 – Fax: +33 (0)3 20 28 52 42 80

Students may also rent housing from a private owner, but we advise students to use caution when renting from individuals. Never send money to an individual before visiting the lodging and signing a lease.

Dining Options

Students may use the student lounge, equipped with microwaves, as a dining area during their lunch breaks.

In addition, a university cafeteria is located across the street from ISA and is open for lunch and dinner on weekdays. Other smaller dining services are available for lunch. You can eat at the university dining halls using your AEU student services card, Crous tickets, or cash. €3.25/meal Learn more.

There are also many sandwiches shops and fast food places in the neighborhood accommodating diverse dietary restrictions.

Most of the university residences have a shared kitchen, so you are free to prepare your own meals.


Health Insurance

European Union Students: You are required to bring your European health insurance card or the health insurance certificate provided by the authorities in your home country.

Non-European Union Students:

All students in France are required by law to register with the national health insurance (Sécurité Sociale), even if you have private insurance. French social security enrollment is free of charge. On your arrival, the ISA International Relations Office will help you to fill in the appropriate forms. The French national health insurance refunds about 70 % of most medical expenses.

It is optional but recommended to get a complementary insurance to obtain better refunds. This insurance is called a mutuelle and is different from the affiliation to the Sécurité Sociale. Most students from Lille Catholic University get coverage with SMENO, the regional student health insurance provider. The costs vary depending on the insurance option chosen (from 12 €/month). Learn more on SMENO’s website.

If you are over 28 years old: You will have to follow a different procedure, which we will help you complete upon your arrival. In the meantime, we suggest you buy a private health insurance to cover potential medical expenses during the first few months of your arrival.

Personal Liability Insurance

According to French law, students will be required to purchase personal liability insurance. ISA Lille also highly encourages our students to purchase additional insurance covering loss of personal documents and repatriation. Such an insurance policy can be purchased in your home country or once you arrive in France.

Workplace and School Insurance

ISA Lille students are automatically enrolled in insurance covering them during all activities in the framework of their studies at ISA Lille: classes, lab work, field trips, study tours, internships, etc. Students do not have to pay for this insurance, but must provide a copy of their birth certificate to be enrolled. You will receive more information upon arrival in Lille.