For the past 17 years, ISA Lille has participated in Lille Catholic University’s European Summer Program (ESP) by offering courses in French Gastronomy & Food Science. The success of the program is defined by its varied elective courses, taught in English, along with intercultural communication, multi-level French languages courses, curriculum-related fieldtrips and small multinational classes, led by an experienced and dedicated international faculty and administrative team. For more details on what’s involved and how to apply, please go directly to the ESP website.
A package deal
The program has been designed as a full package, including academic courses, field trips, accommodation, and 24/7 personalized assistance and support – another advantage especially for students travelling abroad for the first time.
The campus of the Lille Catholic University itself is within easy walking distance of the city’s cultural and commercial centre, with ample green space, shopping, world-class museums and more.
Included in the Programs
- Accommodation in single rooms in fully equipped residence halls
- Meal pass for use in the cafeteria + credit of 50€ to get you started
- Monthly transportation pass in Lille (a 58€ value)
- 5 group dinners
- Brussels City Trip: Spend a day in the capital of Belgium and the European Union
- Bruges City Trip: Stroll in the streets and enjoy a cruise on a canal boat in the “Venice of the North”
- Other travel opportunities to be determined
Cost: 2,950 €
Program fees include:
tuition fees and course materials
accommodation in student dorms, meal pass for use in the cafeteria with a 50€ credit, an orientation program, monthly transportation pass for use on buses and metros in Lille, access to university facilities, fieldtrips to Bruges and Brussels, 5 group dinners, cultural and social activities.
Non-refundable after registration (more information).
Discount available for early registration & students from partner universities
7 ECTS – Electives taught in English + intensive French language course
French Gastronomy and Food Science I
Morning course: 48 hours – 4 ECTS
- Intensive French Language
Afternoon course: 40 hours – 3 ECTS
- Historical Foundation of French Food Culture (2h): Origins and evolution of the French food model, and its place in current French society and way of life.
- Nutrition and Health (2h) : Links between diet and health, and how the French food model performs in this scope.
- Sensory Evaluation (3h + 2h practical): How the products you buy are evaluated during their R&D.
- Smart Cheese and Wine Pairing (2.5 h): Are the rules, guidelines, tricks backed up by any scientific facts?
- Beer Brewing and Cheese Making practical (9.5 h): Process for those products have been practically mastered for centuries before they were scientifically understood; discover hands-on the physical, biochemical and microbiological processes involved.
- Field Trip (6 h): Putting it all together: visit of a regional food plant where good, safe food is produced industrially.
- Intercultural Communication (9h)
- Conference: History and Cultural Heritage of Lille and its Region (4h)
Courses taught at ISA Lille are one part of the whole package.
Check the ESP Course Guide for a full list of available programs.
May 25 - June 21
Application Deadline: April 1, 2018
Arrival Day: Tuesday May 24, 2018 between 9am and 5pm
First Day of Program: Friday, May 25, 2018
End of Program: Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 3pm
Departures: between Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 3pm and Friday, June 22, 2018 at 10am